The Food Co-op is not your typical grocery store.
Founded by the community, for the community, we operate by a different set of values than other retail health food stores. We’re your friendly neighborhood grocery store, run democratically and here to serve our member-owners, rather than wealthy stockholders in another state.
The Co-op difference
- Community based and open to all
- Dedicated to responsible recycling, composting and food donation
- Often offer the first marketing opportunity to new, local, vendors
- Strongly believe in the power of recirculating dollars in the local economy
- Value farmland over building sprawl
- Educate consumers about their food
- Research each product that hits our shelves for product purity and production integrity
- Choose local and organic everyday (not just when convenient)
We opt for sustainability over blind profitability, and often buck the trends in food service when we believe that a higher value can be promoted — using whole ingredients instead of processed foods, bulk instead of pre-packaged, locally grown instead of cheap and imported. As other businesses “jump on the bandwagon” temporarily, there are few assurances that what they say is truly what they value. The Co-op however, has always been about our community, and we’ve valued sustainability since our inception.
A strong foundation
As we move forward as a business, we know these deeply-held values will not fail us. Why? Because our member-owners recognize that Co-ops are where a truly sustainable economy and community converge. We continue striving to provide a sustainable income for our vendors, a reasonable wage for our staff, and to realize a bottom line that looks out for our environment as much as the infrastructure of our store. Our motto: “Cooperative shopping for a Better World!” reflects our belief in, and commitment to, these values on a continual basis.
Come join us! Be a part of the co-op community and help us choose the path forward as we support healthy living and our local food economy. We look forward to meeting you and helping you find just what you need.